Club Land Rover Ireland
June 21, 2018, 08:19:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Discovery Commercial Questions...  (Read 22362 times)
Andrew
----------
Regular Guest

Bigger, faster, and more orange..

« on: January 11, 2006, 12:06:27 PM »

Hi all, I got this by email - anyone able to offer advice / help?

Hello there

I have just a quick question, and I hope you can help. I am moving to Ireland in March, and I will be importing my Discovery Commercial TD5. However the English spec commercial does not meet Irish Custom and Excise regulations. They want me to fit some sort of false floor behind the two front seats, so that there is no gap (presumably so rear seats do not get fitted!). Also they want the rear side windows to be fully blocked out. For the life of me I cannot find any supplier in the UK. Have you any information you can let me have ? If so, I would be very grateful for your assistance.

Yours sincerely

Alex Kay
Report to moderator   Logged

S2a + V8 = Fun!
Fiddler
Regular Guest

'05 Freelander,'87 Def 90,'83 Series III, 06 Disco

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2006, 12:17:30 PM »

The false floor is only a ply-wood box which extends the floor of the Disco up to the back of the seat's as far as possible, thus filling up the passenger foot-well. Then it's covered with cheap black carpet.

I know all vehicles which come into the country have to meet the criteria of the Irish Revenue and they're crap.They put the false floor so far forward on my new freelander that my dad's knees are still bent too much when he drives. It's only suitable for a small driver (lucky me). And they covered all the lashing points on the floor with the cheap bloody carpet. I've to cut the carpet to pull the medal rings through. I'll be reversing said alterations soon. But I've been told this is the way the revenue insist on them being done.

Also you can't do the conversion yourself. (more crap)

NDV in Rosslare carry out the conversions for Land Rover Ireland. Ring 053-61400 and ask for Fintan or Joe Bates. The cost for the Disco will be around €1200.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2006, 12:34:34 PM by Fiddler » Report to moderator   Logged

Let there be you, let there be me,
Let there be 90's pulling the LR3,
Let there be Freelanders, Range-Rover's & love,
But first of all pleaseeeee.. let there be mud.... MMMM
Leon
Regular Guest

Leon

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2006, 12:39:13 PM »

I can't say I disagree with Fiddler.
However, the requirements for the floor is a steel plate welded in place to cover the footwell. Rear seats and all safety belt connection points to be removed.
As for the window, normally replaces with aluminium panel.
Remove the window handle/electric operating switch and put blackout tint on the windows also works.
 :angry:  

Her job is to bitch.
Mine is to give her a reason.
Alex
Regular Guest

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2006, 01:17:15 PM »

I still find myself surprised by the whole commercial vs. private registration in this country ...
In the UK you can register ANY vehicle either way it's all generally based on USE not type, I've been in plenty of hatchback and estate cars (with no mods) which were commercial vehicles purely because they were owned by companies ...

Same with the insurance, I've spoken to people at rally’s with busses etc on private insurance.

Just seems strange to tell someone that they MUST have commercial insurance to drive privately and visa-versa.

I was once told by an insurance co that a Hilux needed a class D license i.e. over 3.5 Tonnes!!! and that it would need commercial insurance, I went along with it to get the quote (with the guys knowledge) and the guy sounded surprised when I told him that I would do 0 business miles and 10,000 private miles in the vehicle huh

What a Garda said to me at a check point 3 years ago now makes sense when he asked if the Disco I was driving had always had seats in the back or not.... it was private obviously.

Very strange state of affairs..... but I guess that's what happens when there's so much money to be saved just from re-classifying your vehicle.

'We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.'
GEORGE BERNARD SHAW
tomaxcars
Regular Guest

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2006, 07:18:30 PM »

Hi,

To answer the questioners question, Parfit  do these conversions. The mainstay of their business is fitting wheelchair lifts and the like to vehicles but I know someone who had approached them about getting the full commercial works done to a classic RR and they were able to quote for it and provide a certifiicate of compliance when the work was complete.

There website doesn't mention it but it's worth giving them a call. As leon said they weld in a sheet metal box into the rear footwell, remove the rear seats and seatbelt mounters and panel up the windows with sheet steel or aluminium. I reckon they'd do a pretty top job as they're used to finishing things off to a high standard.

Parfit

Parfit Ltd. Cloghran, County Dublin. Ireland.
Tel: + 353 (0)1 840 7880 / (0)1 840 7215.
Fax: + 353 (0)1 840 7847
E-mail: info@parfit.ie

Also from what I can remember, you should be sitting down for the quote.

I have heard of a few other places that do this stuff but the names escape me at the moment. If you get nowhere with Parfit, you can get back to me and I'll find out more.

Cheers

T  

1983 2 Door RRC 300tdi - "Roger"
1998 3 Door Discovery 3.9 V8 - "Derek"
1973 2 Door RRC 3.5V8 - Tuscan Blue
Eamonn Mooney
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2006, 07:21:05 PM »

The VRT on a commercial vehicle is €50.00. Compare that to the VRT on any other vehicle and you'll soon see why it m akes sense to go commercial. However, if you have owned the vehicle for more than 6 months at a UK address you are not liable for VRT. Regarding the false floor - I can confirm that it is metal in Discoveries (having had two). Blacking out the rear windows and sticking carpet on them will do the job.

Helena - I have had to 'adjust' the rear flat loadspace cover on a couple of vehicles (not mine) to allow the drivers seat to go back far enough to allow comfortable driving. It only takes a couple of hours.
dirtyDSII
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2006, 12:54:45 PM »

my 2 cents;

If its a uk resident and he owned the vehicle for at least 6 months... Bring it in as private. Your not going to pay VRT anyway. Then get the DOE/tax people to class it as commercial. My understanding is that its far easier to do it this way. My point being that the VRT rules are extemely stringent ( because you are doing them out of a wodge of money) but the DOE tax rules are not as strict.

I stand to be corrected on this - so dont take it as gospel.

regards,

des
Fiddler
Regular Guest

'05 Freelander,'87 Def 90,'83 Series III, 06 Disco

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2006, 03:51:39 PM »

I'm amazed at the mention of plate metal, mine is definately only timber and my landrover garage told me that all theirs are timber too as their clients have 'made the adjustment' on a regular basis.

Let there be you, let there be me,
Let there be 90's pulling the LR3,
Let there be Freelanders, Range-Rover's & love,
But first of all pleaseeeee.. let there be mud.... MMMM
Rochie
Regular Guest

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2006, 04:40:01 PM »

It seems some of the VRT offices are more strict than others when it comes to blacking out the windows. The guys I dealt with weren't happy for me to black-out tint or even paint the windows and cover them on the inside with sheet's of ply. They insisted on 'bonded' metal, see attached for my solution.

Sure it wouldn't feel right riveting on anything other that chqr plate!! I used the removed windows as templates and used the same mounting holes so no landies were harmed during the making.

Anyway the VRT lads were satisfied with (and amused by) it and I got it thru commercial. worth the effort.

Now I just have to get it through a DOE. Can anybody offer advice on replacing the clutch release bearing? At least I hope that's what's making the noise and not the mainshaft bearings or splines (or lack thereof!)

* dcp01828cr.jpg (73.16 KB - downloaded 236 times.)

EXPLETIVE: A balm, usually applied verbally in hindsight, which somehow eases those pains and indignities following our every deficiency in foresight.

<!--A solution always presents itself...-->
Vinny
Regular Guest

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2006, 05:05:02 PM »

Nice Job on the windows.
Can you tax it as a mobile workshop?? Ive led to believe this means only ever 1 DOE (the first to class it as a MW) the tax is still the same as commercial but you save the €80+ a year!!  
?? afro
Vinny
Rochie
Regular Guest

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2006, 05:50:45 PM »

Ha! pure genius - I must look into that!

EXPLETIVE: A balm, usually applied verbally in hindsight, which somehow eases those pains and indignities following our every deficiency in foresight.

<!--A solution always presents itself...-->
Richie
Regular Guest

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2006, 09:50:02 PM »

Wink From what I can recall to class a vehicle as a mobile workshop it must have a welder and a vice bolted to the floor and sure just throw some tools and other spite in the back so it looks the part,its as simple as that .No DOE and cheaper road tax then a commercial.
Ring them and they will tell you what is required. Wink

Richie...... cool  

I have a massive throbbing helmet
D Feely
Regular Guest

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2006, 12:02:03 PM »

lads,
from what the auld fella was telling me is that mobile workshop vehicles are now subject to annual DOE

As far as i no this only came in lately
so dont take it as gospael Sad  

You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel!
tomaxcars
Regular Guest

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2006, 02:08:50 PM »

I think this is true,

I independently heard this from two people - one got it direct from a friend in the motor tax office.

It was only changed a couple of months ago.

Andrew.

1983 2 Door RRC 300tdi - "Roger"
1998 3 Door Discovery 3.9 V8 - "Derek"
1973 2 Door RRC 3.5V8 - Tuscan Blue
Vinny
Regular Guest

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2006, 02:18:44 PM »

B**t**ds :angry:
 Id my 50 ltr compressor, a generator, a tool chest and a magnetic vice just waiting to be fitted into the back of my 90 cheesy  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: